C519 Party at the Scriptorium: Contemporary Illuminated Lettering
It’s a time-travel through the decades of illumination—in all its glory and use in calligraphy, lettering arts, graphic design, and graffiti. We’ll start our journey from ancient times, looking at illuminated lettering in medieval manuscripts. Let’s discover decorative and exciting drawn letterforms and decorations from different centuries. We’ll learn from them and we’ll play with them. The highlight of the trip will be the party at the scriptorium where you develop your own project and style.
- Pencil: H – 2H
- Tracing paper
- Good quality paper like BFK Rives (smooth watercolor paper)
- Gouache (Schmincke, Turner, Linel, etc.): your favorite colors + jet black + zinc white
- Pointed brush: size 0 – 2
- Palette with small, but deep wells for the paint (width: approx. 2 cm, depth approx. 0.9 cm)
- Pipette for applying water to the paint
- Light box if you have one
Andrea has been a freelance calligrapher and book artist from northern Bavaria since 2003. She is an award-winning calligrapher, also working on commissions in a wide ﬁeld like signpainting, lettering, logo-design and murals; she teaches nation- and worldwide. Her work is shown both nationally and worldwide and is part of private and public collections like the Berlin Calligraphy Collection. She is a member of German societies ars scribendi and Schreibwerkstatt Klingspor Oﬀenbach (board member); CLAS (Calligraphy and Lettering Arts Society), and full member of LX (Letter Exchange) in London. Find out more at andreawunderlich.com.